Monday, March 26, 2012

t h i n.

This topic is really interesting to me. When I was younger, 6th grade I think it was, I remember my friends were cutting themselves for attention and hinting at their attempt at eating disorders. They thought it was cool. It was years and years ago and I barely remember anything about that situation, but I remember that I promised myself that I would never harm myself nor force myself to throw up, no matter how bad it got. And then I remember in 8th grade, an acquaintance of mine was using laxatives to lose weight. I had only talked to her once or twice but it made me so sad. Body image issues are real. While not all of them will force women into eating disorders, there's constant dieting and exercise and staring into the mirror and pulling apart our flaws. Even people who we idolize, who seemingly have PERFECT bodies, deal with body image issues. Singer/ Actor, Demi Lovato, recently had to go to rehab for her battle with anorexia and bulimia (as well as other things) and a documentary was released a few weeks ago detailing her experiences. The trailer for that can be seen here. One scene that really struck a chord in me was her first Thanksgiving since rehab; she says it's her day to "tackle food" and is seen on the phone with her sponsor multiple times. The documentary as a whole is really interesting and it makes me wonder what other celebrities are dealing with behind the curtain. Another thing I saw that relates to this topic is from an interview with Jennifer Lawrence:


I feel like it will be years and years before all women can look in the mirror and be satisfied with their appearance. And maybe the harsh reality is that it will never happen. But it's important to love yourself and your body and most importantly, treat it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment