Monday, April 16, 2012

Domestic work

I don't have a great deal of experience with domestic labor, but my mother (a first-generation immigrant from Taiwan) spent time in college cleaning houses to help pay tuition. I asked her if it felt demeaning at all; she said no. She said that she was treated very well by the families who employed her, and that although it was difficult work, it was still worthwhile. She was satisfied with the time she spent as a house-cleaner; in fact, she did such a good job that her employers requested her again and again until she simply got too busy to continue. Personally, cleaning other people's houses would be a last resort for me in terms of job-searching, but that makes me respect domestic workers even more for doing such hard work daily. In my mother's case, her employers did treat her with respect. I suppose her experience demonstrates a good, healthy relationship between domestic laborer and employer--which goes to show that although there are many instances of domestic workers being mistreated or unfairly looked down upon, positive relationship examples do exist as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment