Sunday, April 8, 2012

Race Card

"My Culture, Your Prejudice, Our Problem"

This is my race card because I believe it sums up the basic premise of racism. There is nothing inherently wrong with someone's race, skin color, or culture, but many people within our society assign arbitrary values to each of these things. In this sense, the only thing wrong with "my culture" is your "prejudice." The difficulty is that when you stereotype a group of people or a racist towards them, it does not become their problem, or your problem, but a nuisance for both parties.

3 comments:

  1. I remember you saying this in lecture and I thought it was true because, the problems work both ways rather than just one, and may cause reverse-racism, and from there the problems multiply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also remember you saying this in lecture and I thought it was brilliantly concise and powerful. I like how it acknowledges the culture we live in and how the prejudice arises from that culture and background. It addresses the problem by placing the blame on society, which is a great way to bring attention to the social platforms that cause racism, which in turn makes people more aware of their own prejudices. This raises hope that we can more universally recognize the problem of racism and actively strive towards equality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this as well, and I would also throw out that not only do we all have a culture of some kind or another, but we all have our own personal prejudices. The first step towards changing society is changing ourselves and putting our own prejudices aside.

    ReplyDelete