Sunday, April 8, 2012

Race Card

You don't really want to know

I have trouble discussing issues surrounding race because it seems like many people aren't willing to listen to any other viewpoint other than their own.  I also don't like the defensiveness or the conflict that comes up in discussions of race because I tend to feel guilt over being defensive myself.  I don't know if it's fair for me to think that Asians have been discriminated against in the past and even now and that this fact is often overlooked.  Racism against the African American community has been so thoroughly spoken against that I'm afraid of bringing up stereotyping Asians for fear of being seen as single-minded.  It seems insensitive to say that black people sometimes do seem in my opinion to be prolonging past discriminations.  I've seen instances of reverse racism before, and I'm wondering how long it will be before the white community is no longer thought of as stereotypically privileged and discriminatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment