Thursday, April 12, 2012

Women as Domestic Workers

In the film that we watched in discussion, I noticed that the mistress and the master had little respect for the maid. When she first arrived he didn't open her door or even ask to carry her bag; even though she is their employee she is still a women. The mistress was very rude to the maid demanding her in a rude manner and making her dress like she is a servant. I feel that domestic workers have to take the disrespectfulness and throw it behind them because they have to provide for their family. I also feel like they have a hard time because they are away from their family, but knowing that she cant provide for her family makes her stay and handle her business. Some people say that their maids are happy and are a part of the family, but I disagree because they might seem happy and a part of the family, but they are missing theirs dearly. I guarantee domestic workers are not happy 100% of the time that they are there.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the clip that we saw in class portrayed a negative version of how domestic workers are portrayed, but I would like to add that this version is only one part of a two part story. Therefore I disagree with Vanessa's statement of the maids being unhappy. Sure there might be times where they don't want to finish a task because they are tired, but that goes for any job. Another example would be, how my past care-takers always call me and ask me how I am and want to grab lunch with me and my family.

    ReplyDelete