Sunday, April 15, 2012

Domestic workers

My family has never employed domestic workers, so I don't have such experience like the one in the movie. However, I know that issue was sometimes on the news in Korea. The relationship between a mistress and a maid is really case by case. I remember the news that a maid sued the family who had employed her for their violence and rudeness. The maid was a foreigner from one of east Asian countries. She insisted the family had treated her as a slave and she was so humiliated. I believe the family didn't respect her as a family because they inappropriately misunderstood that everything is ok if they just pay to her on time. However, they didn't really care her feeling. On the contrary, my friend's family hired a foreign maid as well, but they had very good relationship. My friend learned an English from the maid and his family treated her like a real family. She has had good memory until she left for her country. They still keep in touch each other. Likewise, the black girl in the movie would not be unhappy if the mistress treated her more warmly and took care of her feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment