Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ain't I a Woman?

Of all of the manifestos that we were required to read for class, I identified with Sojourner Truth's more than the others. She writes that she doesn't need to have things done for her for her to be considered a woman. She completes tasks just as well as men do and she "could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it"- she doesn't let someone else's definition of "women" define her, she creates her own definition. As a strong, independent woman, I relate to Sojourner's manifesto. For the majority of my life, I did things for myself, by myself. My gender has nothing to do with the things I've accomplished. I believe that a woman can do anything a man can do. The men in this world wouldn't exist without women; if we are strong enough to bear children we are strong enough to do anything. Sojourner's words drive deep into my soul and if I had to follow a manifesto, I would follow Sojourner's manifesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment