Sunday, January 15, 2012

"Unforgivable Manifesto"

http://www.1000manifestos.com/seth-godin-unforgivable-manifesto/      

       This assignment challenged me to research several manifestos and find one that truly spoke to me and my own life. Written by Seth Godin, Unforgivable Manifesto is a manifesto that describes the one secret ingredient necessary for change, which Godin identifies as "your desire to actually do something about it...to take action, to believe that it's worthwhile, to confront what feels like a risk but really isn’t. The secret ingredient is to ignore excuses, abandon procrastination and stop looking for proof."   

       Furthermore, Godin enforces the importance of the short-run versus the long-run, and that in life the long-run holds greater significance than the short-run. In relation to my own life, Godin's idea confirms my opinion that the long-run is more important than the short-run, and that decisions should be made in order to enhance the long-run rather than thinking only in reference to the short-run.

       Since Godin published this manifesto within the past year, I think it holds a greater significance and stronger relativity to modern day life. For example, Godin says, "Everyone is a marketer, even people and organizations that don’t market. They’re just marketers who are doing it poorly." As a Public Relations major, this statement really hits home for me because the reality of life is that every individual is an advertisement for him or herself, and every decision we make or action we do results in a positive, negative, or neutral mark for ourselves. Just as what we wear makes us walking advertisements for various companies or causes, our actions define our reputation in society.

       Godin concludes his manifesto with, "Mass taste is rarely good taste." Here, I think Godin is trying to say that just because a group of people like something, that doesn't mean that you should like it or that it is necessarily good. Additionally, I think he is trying to say that it is important to find your own voice and form your own opinions rather than following the bandwagon.

       I think his overall message is saying that in life you need to make decisions and not settle, for he believes settling is unforgivable. In order to live a fulfilling life, I agree that it is important not to settle because I think you owe it to yourself to set a goal and pursue your passion(s) without settling for anything less along the way.

      This assignment has given me the opportunity to explore the meaning behind a manifesto and to also discover several manifestos that directly resonate with my own life, one of which is Seth Godin's Unforgivable Manifesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment