Monday, January 30, 2012

Irritating Ideologies


When I was younger, I always used to try to resist what I saw as the stereotypical limits of gender, whether it be in terms of advertising, shopping, family, or really any situation in which I felt society had unfair standards. I refused to buy (or wear) anything pink, because it was a stereotypically “girly” color. In gym, I was offended when the coach suggested I do push-ups with my knees touching the floor: “I don't do girl push-ups,” I snapped. If a male friend went out of his way to hold the door for me, I'd refuse to walk through and insist that he walk on first. Sometimes I took my stubbornness a little far, too but it all stemmed from my frustration at the way gender ideologies were so unequal in general society. Why should I wear pink? Why should I do 5 easier push-ups just because I'm a girl when I am perfectly capable of doing 5 “real” push-ups? Do men think that women are too fragile to open doors on their own?? Those were my thoughts at the time, and though I've become significantly more moderate in my views, those situations still bother me sometimes. I don't like that ideologies of gender and capitol affect almost everything; in marriage, for instance, a man is still expected to be able to provide for his wife. If I got married someday, I could not imagine acting as a housewife and being financially reliant on my husband. NO WAY. Historically, the man may hold the metaphorical wallet of the family, because that is how gender/capitol ideologies have evolved; but I can say for sure that in my house, I'll be earning money myself to keep in a wallet of my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment