Tuesday, February 28, 2012

masculinity and hegemony.

I think masculinity and hegemony are still definitely related. It's almost a hard concept to grasp, especially as a woman in contemporary society, but ruling positions are still dominated by men. And I think that some people still believe that masculinity and hegemony should be related. Men like power and power likes men. Yes, we are growing toward the acceptance of women in power but that doesn't mean that society isn't hesitant. When Hilary Clinton was running for president, I vaguely recall a comment along the lines of "We cannot have a woman running our country!". Not only did this bother me extensively, it still continues to do so. I don't think that masculinity and hegemony will be separated until woman at least dominate half of the workforce leadership positions.

No comments:

Post a Comment