Sunday, February 19, 2012

sexuality...

Sexuality is such an interesting concept. As I read "Straight", my thoughts wander. I do believe that the fluidity of sexuality has changed over time, even if only slightly. What's fascinating for me is history's attempt at rejecting sexuality. Before hetero and homosexuality were "things", sex was something that people didn't even want to think about. The religious root of these thoughts are widely known, yet just the transition of the word "heterosexual" is one that gave me a slight giggle. At one point, it was defined as "abnormal or perverted appetite toward the opposite sex." As Blank writes, the definition is a reflection of "a deep-seated anxiety about sexual desire". Our thinking is so far ahead of that "deep-seated anxiety" yet in certain circumstances it almost feels as though we haven't progressed at all. I guess it's all relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment