Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sexuality

Before this class, and before reading Straight, I always had very rigid associates with sexuality and gender. I thought physicality completely defined males and females and set them apart, and I thought sexuality was also very governed by physical factors. Physical differences, to me, were all that being male or female, or heterosexual or homosexual, implied. Now, however, I have slightly widened my view on sexuality and gender in general. This class has shown me that both sexuality and gender have very many cultural implications. There are so many cultural stigmas that instantly pop into your mind in relation to a specific sexuality or gender. Culture has influenced us so much that it is now incredibly difficult for us to even separate physical and social definitions of categories such as sexuality. This class has made me think about how much we assume to be inherently true is actually true and undefined by culture. Heterosexual no longer just means that you like the opposite gender- there are now so many other social implications that come with being heterosexual.

No comments:

Post a Comment