Sunday, February 5, 2012

Psychoanalysis

I think the part of Freud's theories that most resonated with me was about the unconscious mind. Freud believed that the true driving force behind our actions is the unconscious. Dreams and desires manifest themselves in our everyday life through ways we may not notice. Though the unconscious is buried within our mind, it (according to Freud) continues to affect us pretty significantly. Now, when I examine my actions and the actions of others, I see evidence that our actions are being guided by forces that we are not completely aware of. Sometimes certain sexual desires motivate the romantic pairings of people and sometimes, for example, a need to please or a need to be recognized becomes the reason we act the way we do and the reason why we take on certain challenges. I have noticed that people are always very complex and that their motivations may not always be clear until you look at their childhood and past. Freud's psychoanalysis does just that. I think that not everything is necessarily motivated by a sexual desire, but I do believe that there is almost always a deeper reason that is compelling our actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment